About Certified Nurse Midwives
Certified Nurse Midwives are healthcare providers who are board-certified in midwifery. Your midwife will:
- Customize your birthing experience. Your midwife will begin to help you customize a birth plan that achieves the birthing experience you want.
- Become your supporter. Your midwife will stay by your side from the first trimester through the labor and delivery process.
- Achieve your birthing preferences. Your midwife will help you achieve the birthing experience you choose. Whether you prefer a natural birth with no medicinal intervention or would like to incorporate an epidural, your midwife will support you and provide you with the options to help you achieve the the birthing experience you wish.
- Offer alternate pain-minimizing methods, including hydrotherapy, hypnotherapy, scented oils and other types of methods that will be discussed before delivery.
- Help deliver your new baby. Your midwife will provide you information on the various delivery methods you can welcome your new child into the world.
- Stay until you are comfortable. Your midwife will stay until your child is delivered and you are comfortable to begin your first hours with your new baby. Your midwife may collaborate with certified nurse lactation consultants to help you begin the breastfeeding process if you prefer.