Gynecological Support and Health
Little Company of Mary is prepared to be a lifelong health partner with expert staff who care for a range of gynecologic concerns. From the predictable gynecological issues of adolescence to the more complex concerns that come with age, to cancer detection, menstrual disorders and the effects of menopause, women can rely on us to be there.
Ready for Every Need
Our services include regular evaluation and management of Pap smears, treatments for pelvic pain, premenstrual syndrome and more. And, through the years, we're there for women with advances in treatments for many of women's concerns, such as abnormal cervical cells and issues related to menopause including osteoporosis and hormone replacement.
Women's Wellness Consultants
Women's Wellness Consultants provide a variety of services to assist women in meeting their personal health goals. "Women's Series" is a lecture series offering information related to women's health presented by LCM physicians and other experts in the field of women's wellness. Topics include: peri menopause, menopause, PMS and PMDD. To reach a consultant directly, call 708.423.5774.
Moving Ahead in Fibroid Treatment
Many women develop fibroid tumors, also known as myomas. Though benign, these masses of fibrous tissue and muscle on the uterine wall can cause menstrual bleeding, pelvic pain and bladder or bowel pressure. With minimally invasive outpatient Uterine Fibroid Embolizations our physicians offer a much less painful procedure than open surgery with a far quicker? recovery time.
For information about Little Company of Mary's gynecological experts call 866.540.LCMH any time day or night, any day of the week.
What should you know about gynecological health?
- Uterine fibroids are the most common, benign tumors in women of childbearing age
- Nearly half of the approximately 600,000 hysterectomies performed annually in the United States are due to uterine fibroids
- The median age for onset of perimenopause is 47.5 years
- Women should have their first Pap test approximately 3 years after first sexual intercourse or by age 21, whichever comes first
- Women under 30 should undergo annual Pap testing since they have a higher likelihood than older women of acquiring high-risk types of human papillomavirus (HPV) that may cause precancerous cervical changes
Symptoms of Uterine Fibroids
- Heavy bleeding or painful periods
- Bleeding between periods
- Feeling of fullness in the pelvic area (lower abdomen)
- Urinating often
- Pain during sex
- Lower back pain
- Reproductive problems such as infertility, having more than one miscarriage or having early onset of labor during pregnancy
Symptoms of Menopause
- Hot flashes
- Night sweats
- Irregular periods
- Loss of libido
- Vaginal dryness
What can I do?
- Talk to your Little Company of Mary physician about all your concerns and the medical options available
- Have regular Pap tests
- Talk to your physician about Little Company of Mary's non-invasive, outpatient fibroid treatment alternative
- For women who are menopausal and still have their uterus, treatment with estrogen and proestrogen called combination hormone therapy can be prescribed for menopausal symptoms
- For women who are menopausal and have had their uterus removed, treatment with only estrogen can be prescribed