Surgeries Requiring Recovery Time
For procedures that require recovery time at Little Company, we offer a very skilled, compassionate and highly experienced team of professionals who work very well together.
While a loved one is in surgery, you may wait in our dedicated Surgery Reception Area, where you may read, enjoy a complimentary cup of coffee and receive updates from your team of health care professionals. In addition, you may encounter one of our trained volunteers who frequently will sit and help you pass the time, if you choose their assistance. Our Pastoral Care Department also is available to pray with you and offer you comfort during your wait.
If you would like an update on the condition of a loved one in surgery, please call the Surgery Reception Area at 708.229.5793. To reach the Surgery Department, please call 708.229.5300.
Our Inpatient Surgery Department is located in the South Pavilion, First Floor.
It is important to be an informed patient. All surgeries have both risks and benefits and the staff at Little Company want to make sure that you are well aware of both when deciding what health care option is right for you.
We encourage patients to engage in an open dialogue with their physicians about any questions and/or concerns before his/her surgery. We have listed a few questions below to help you with your conversation.
- What is the operation being recommended?
- Why is it necessary?
- Is there an alternative to surgery?
- What are the benefits to surgery?
- What are the risks?
- What happens if I choose not to have the surgery?
- Should I get a second opinion?
- How many of these surgeries have you performed in the last year?
- Where will the surgery be performed?
- Should I continue to take my medications on the day of surgery?
- Will there be anesthesia? If so, what kind?
- Is there anything the anesthesiologist needs to know about me/my family history?
- What activity restrictions will I have after surgery?
- How much will the surgery cost me?
- How can I prepare for my recovery at home? (food, special equipment)
- Can my allergies or the medications/supplements I take affect my surgery? *Patients should have a written list of allergies, daily medications and all supplements taken.
- Will I stay in the hospital or go home the same day of surgery?