Weight Loss and Bariatric Support
Many women living with weight problems feel isolated and alone. At the Little Company of Mary Bariatric Surgery Center, we're dedicated to changing that. We offer non-surgical support and counseling, as well as surgical options for women who are more than 100 pounds overweight.
Full Range of Non-Surgical Solutions
Every woman loses weight differently, so we offer a number of options to help her reach her goals.
Our psychologists will work to determine causes for possible eating conditions and decide what actions or medications can help. Dietitians will address eating habits and show women how to improve their grocery shopping. Plus our staff of experienced physicians including internist, Dr. Kidanu J. Birhanu, are trained on issues including pre/post menopausal and postsurgical weight management as well as weight-related conditions such as diabetes, thyroid problems, sleep apnea and more. So, no matter where a woman is in her life, we're ready to help her live it in a healthier way.
Women's Wellness Consultants has a variety of programs to help meet your personal goal related to maintaining a healthy weight:
- Hypnosis for weight loss is offered by a certified hypnotherapist and pyshcologist in the Health Education Center.
- Multiple exercise programs are available at the Health Education Center.
Bariatric Center of Excellence
Under the guidance of Dr. Gerald Cahill, medical director of the Midwest Bariatric Institute, our center has performed more than 2,000 successful weight-loss surgeries to date. And, we've been rated an American Society of Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence as well as a Blue Cross Blue Shield Center of Excellence, based on quality and overall excellence.
The Latest Minimally Invasive Procedures
We specialize in minimally invasive laparoscopic techniques including Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass Surgery, Sleeve Gastrectomy and the Lap-Band® Adjustable Gastric Band. With less pain, a lower rate of complications, a shorter hospital stay and a quicker return to normal activities; these procedures let women begin a new lifestyle sooner. And, they represent the latest advancements in bariatric surgery.
A Personal Touch
Exceptional treatment is important in all areas of our Bariatric Surgery Center, not just the operating room. Our experts see every patient as an individual and treatment plans are based on many factors and considered very carefully. Overcoming obesity means changing an entire lifestyle, and we're here to make sure women have a partner to guide them through it.
To find out more regarding our services click here or call 708.229.5969.
What should you know about weight management?
- The good news - it's treatable
- Among U.S. women 20 years and older, more than 64 million are overweight and more than 34 million are obese
There are many obesity-related conditions, which uniquely or mostly affect women, including:
- Birth defects
- Breast cancer
- Endometrial Cancer (EC)
- Cardiovascular Disease (CVD)
- Gallbladder disease
- High blood cholesterol
- Obstetric & gynecological complications
- Urinary stress incontinence
- Stigma & discrimination
What can I do?
- Focus on fruits
- Vary your vegetables
- Eat more dark leafy greens
- Eat fat free or low fat calcium-rich foods
- Make half your grains whole
- Exercise with physician's permission
- Go lean with protein
- Limit saturated fats
- Limit salt
- Check your BMI at our weight loss website
- Talk to your physician about your weight-loss options
When is surgery the right option?
- If you are 75-100 lbs. overweight
- Have a history of weight-loss attempts
- Exhibit a willingness to participate in a multidisciplinary program at Little Company of Mary