Pelvic Floor Care and Treatment
As women advance through life, at least one-third of them will be treated for a pelvic health condition by the age of 60. So, it's important that women have access to experts who can provide complete diagnostics and treatment close to home. Our Pelvic Floor Disorders Program uses a full spectrum of care to diagnose and treat women with conditions including stress and urge incontinence, pelvic organ prolapse, chronic pelvic pain, interstitial cystitis (painful bladder syndrome), vulvodynia (chronic vulvar pain), sexual dysfunction and pregnancy-related pelvic concerns.
Comfort and Convenience
For those seeking non-surgical treatment, our program offers convenient physical therapy and nutritional counseling departments located next to each other on the main floor of the North Pavilion at 94th Street and California Avenue. Women can be dropped off a few steps away from their appointment or use our valet or nearby outpatient parking and walk in.
Tools that make Treatment Easier
Little Company of Mary also follows the most current research and clinical standards by using the latest behavioral, medical, non-surgical and surgical methods including minimally invasive surgery. Our team creates unique treatment plans for each patient. All to ease the pain of pelvic disorders and restore quality of life.
Physical Therapy call 708.229.5525 to schedule a personal session with a certified physical therapist, with your prescription from your physician.
Nutritional Counseling call 708.229.5529 to begin one-on-one nutritional counseling with a registered dietitian who can walk you through a personal health diet to improve your pelvic floor.
Total Control Program This pelvic floor strengthening exercise class is led by specifically trained instructors who teach a variety of exercises that target the muscle in the pelvic floor to improve bowel/bladder control and sexual function. Call 708.423.5774 to register for the next class.
Millions of women suffer in silence with urinary incontinence and other personal issues. Dr. Denise Furlong provides a private 10 minute consultation to women to determine if they are in need of treatment for pelvic floor dysfunction. This FREE consultation does not include a physical exam. Screenings are held monthly at Little Company of Mary Hospital. Register for the screening online.
What should you know about Pelvic Floor Disorders?
1 in 15 can experience moderate to severe symptoms caused by pelvic floor dysfunction. These can include:
- Involuntary loss of bowel control
- Urinary incontinence
- Rectal pain
- Vaginal and/or rectal prolapse
- Pelvic pain/trauma
- Sexual dysfunction
- Women who suffer from pelvic floor disorders underreport their condition due to embarrassment
- 1 in every 9 women will undergo surgery for a pelvic floor disorder
- 1 in 4 women age 30-59 have experienced an episode of urinary incontinence
- More than 15 million women in the U.S. have urinary incontinence
- Pelvic floor disorders can affect women of all ages
- 16 million women in the U.S. have overactive bladders
What are contributing factors to Pelvic Floor Disorders?
- Aging (menopause)
- Severely overweight
- Large fibroids or pelvic tumors
- Pelvic surgery
- Radiation treatments
What can I do?
- Make changes in your diet
- Weight control
- The use of a device placed in the vagina called a pessary can help support the pelvic organs
- Exercises known as Kegel exercises, can often strengthen the pelvic floor muscles around the openings of the urethra, vagina and rectum
- Physical therapy
- Treatments for incontinence can also include medication and bladder or bowel control training
- Call for a referral to a Little Company of Mary urogynecologist, a specialist in addressing pelvic floor concerns