Gastrointestinal Health Services
At Little Company of Mary, we're not only focused on reducing the pain of our diagnostic procedures and treatments. We're also striving to make your complete health care experience as painless as possible. That's why we're proud to announce our all-new Endoscopy Center at its new location on the main floor of the North Pavilion.
The Endoscopy Center features state-of-the-art technology for the diagnosis of digestive and respiratory disorders, including:
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
- Diseases of the digestive tract
- Pain management for advanced pancreatic cancer
- Motility problems
- Staging of digestive tract tumors
- Chest X-ray abnormalities
With state of the art equipment, we can make performing and experiencing endoscopic procedures as pain-free as possible. They include:
- Upper endoscopy
- Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatogram (ERCP)
- Endoscopic ultrasound
By bringing such a new and progressive center to the Southwest Chicago area, patients and physicians can now access the latest treatments for a wide range of conditions without the inconvenience of traveling far from home. Featuring a wide range of equipment, the redesigned Endoscopy Center is focused on making everything as easy and convenient as we can. That's why we've doubled the size of our procedure area to increase our capability for more flexible scheduling to fit better with your busy life. With a new, modern design, more pleasant decor and lighting, you'll get expert care in a comfortable environment.
Benefits for patients:
- State of the art equipment inclusive of picture taking capabilities
- Easy, main floor access just steps away from valet parking
- Greater capacity
- Simple, flexible scheduling
- Comfortable environment
- Free Internet connectivity in reception area
With a more comfortable setting and minimally invasive equipment for digestive diagnoses, Little Company of Mary is helping to reduce the stress associated with endoscopic procedures. It's just another step forward in our pursuit of pain-free health care. Physician's order required.
- More than 60 million Americans experience heartburn due to acid reflux at least once per month.
- Approximately 80% of those who suffer from it experience the symptoms at night, and roughly 75% of those wake up as a result
What factors affect GERD?
- Hiatal hernia
- Being overweight
- Certain medications - some anti-inflammatory, some muscle relaxants, some high blood pressure
- Trigger foods - citrus, potatoes, raw onions, tomato based foods, peppermint, carbonated drinks, spicy foods, fried foods, fatty foods, garlic, creamy salad dressings, just to name a few
What can I do about GERD?
- Change eating habits - don't eat within 3 hours of bedtime
- Don't eat large meals
- Avoid meals with trigger foods
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Maintain good posture
- Stop smoking
- Avoid alcohol
- Talk to your Little Company of Mary health care provider
What should you know about Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)?
- IBS affects between 25 and 45 million people in the U.S.
- Approximately 60 to 65% of IBS sufferers are female
- Approximately 20 to 40% of all visits to gastroenterologists?are due to IBS symptoms
Symptoms of IBS include:
- Abdominal discomfort or pain, usually in the lower abdomen (although the location and intensity are variable, even at different times within the same person)
- Altered bowel habits
What can I do about Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)?
- Change eating habits
- Find ways to manage stress - meditate or just relax
- Exercise - 30-50 minutes a day, 5-7 days a week